Minor Use Permits (MUPs) for Pesticides

Before a pesticide can be used in Australia, it must first be registered for use with the Australian Pesticide and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA). The registration process requires pesticide manufacturers to submit a comprehensive application including information on its chemistry and manufacture, the toxicological impacts on public and occupational health, any residues, environmental safety of the product, and the efficacy of the product.

Developing or obtaining the data to support an application is expensive. In small crop/pest situations, this expense can be cost prohibitive, especially when limited economic gain or return on investment is achievable. In these situations however a permit may be granted which allows for the legal use of a pesticide in a minor use application. This permit allows for the use of a pesticide outside of its label instructions.  Permits may also be granted by the APVMA for use in emergency situations; such as an exotic pest or disease outbreak or for use in research applications.

The downloads below list the current minor use permits held by GIA on behalf of industry as well as other minor use permits applicable to the production nursery industry.  Before using these permits it is advised that growers check the currency of the permit on the APVMA website https://portal.apvma.gov.au/permits especially for those not held by GIA where permit versions may change without notice. The registration of products can also be checked on the APVMA website https://portal.apvma.gov.au/pubcris.

The Nursery Production Minor Use Program is interested in hearing from growers on any pesticide needs by emailing: biosecure@greenlifeindustry.com.au